he old, pre-historical town Šas is positioned at the top of a hill (85 m) broaden on the northern side of the lake and has a nice view at the delta of river Bojana. By the legend, Šas had churches as many as there are days in a year. The truth is, however, that there were found the ruins of only ten ancient churches, among which two can be considered as monumental, although they were quite ruined. The Church of St. John (Shen Gjoni) was built inside the fortress somewhere in the XIII century. The second church, St. Mary (Shen Mrise) was built in the XIV century outside the fortress, towards the North-East. It used to be 16.6 m long, 7.1 m wide and it was made in the Gothic style. Due to its different style of construction, experts believe that it had actually been a monastery. Šas achieved its culmination in the middle ages, although it was several times invaded by various peoples. The Serbian ruler Stefan Nemanja conquered Šas in 1183, in 1242 it was conquered by the Mongols and finally in 1571 the Ottoman empire totally invaded and destroyed it. Since then, Šas has belonged to the category of „dead towns“. At that time as it was trespassed by the old road Ulcinj – Šas – Skadar, Šas was considered as the centre of the area Ana e Malit. Like other middle-aged towns as Skadar, Ulcinj and Drišti, Šas forged its own coins with the inscription „sovacii civitas“.This money is of special value as it shows how this old town used to look like in the Renaissance style, with three-floor houses, colonnades and towers.